image

FAAS, City Reach Agreement

Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter (FAAS) and the City of Alameda have signed an Animal Services Agreement that increases City funding for the services FAAS provides. The new contract starts July 1, 2017.

Terms of the contract include:

•  The City will make an annual payment to FAAS of $804,300, which provides 58% of the total FAAS budget, with FAAS to raise the remaining 42% from fees and public fundraising.

•  The City will make a one-time payment to FAAS of $75,000 to cover costs anticipated to be incurred between now and June 30, 2017.

•  The City will continue to rent the shelter facility to FAAS for $1 per year. In fiscal year 2016-‘17, the City will provide more than $170,000 in capital improvements to the shelter, including a new roof, an upgraded kitchen where animal meals are prepared, and upgrades to the heating and cooling system. In fiscal year 2017-18, the City will reimburse an additional $45,000 in one-time capital costs for shelter upgrades.

•  The Alameda Police Department will continue to provide Animal Control Officers to support shelter operations and enforce animal control laws.

•  Working jointly with FAAS, the City will commission an operational assessment of the shelter by the American Humane Association to identify best practices in shelter management and services.

•  FAAS will continue its new partnership with the job training and placement program at Alameda Point Collaborative with the goal of providing employment for up to two program participants. It will also expand its grants program to help support shelter operations and explore additional grants for services such as spay and neuter.

The contract is for two years. When it ends on July 1, 2019, the City Council has the option to extend the contract for another two years.

Thank you

A heartfelt thanks to everyone who stood with FAAS during 18 months of negotiations with the City. We appreciate your letters, phone calls and attendance at City Council meetings. FAAS volunteers and donors are the heroes who make our work possible. FAAS believes that a progressive community like Alameda deserves a modern shelter to care for abandoned, lost and homeless animals. All pets deserve to be treated humanely and with respect; at FAAS, we never let time or space dictate a resident's future. Our goal is to find forever homes for the more than 1,000 animals who come through our doors each year.  

With a new contract in place, your support is more important than ever. In the new fiscal year starting July 1, FAAS will need to raise approximately $600,000 in additional cash and in-kind support to achieve our mission and maintain our standards of excellence. Volunteers, working in partnership with our professional staff, will be crucial in helping us achieve our mission.  More information on donor opportunities can be found at http://alamedaanimalshelter.org/support/monetary-and-vehicle-donations.html. For information on how to volunteer, please go to http://alamedaanimalshelter.org/support/volunteer.html.

Thank you also to the City staff and elected officials who worked so diligently with us to draft an agreement that best serves both the City's and FAAS's long-term objectives. The great work continues. 

Copyright © 2017 Friends of The Alameda Animal Shelter.