In The Spotlight
Ask The Vet: What Are Foxtails?
They are sometimes called "mean seeds" and for good reason. Foxtails can burrow their way into your dog causing pain, infection, or worse. Foxtails are everywhere right now. The good news is that taking a few simple precautions can help protect your pet. Dr. Marie-Anne Woolley, Medical Director of Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter, explains in this week's Ask The Vet video and companion article.
Pet Food Pantry
During the pandemic, our Pet Food Pantry is open to Alameda residents every Saturday morning. Families in need may pick up one month's free supply of cat and dog food. Please park and have your trunk open for safe distancing. Supplies are limited to up to three dogs and three cats per family. Visits per family are limited to once a month.
The Pet Food Pantry is made possible by the Humane Society of Alameda and individual FAAS supporters. If you would like to help families in need feed their pets, we welcome dry and wet dog and cat food and kitty litter shipped directly from online retailers to FAAS, 1590 Fortmann Way, Alameda, CA 94501. You may also drop off new, unopened pet food in person any Sunday or Monday between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
When: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. every Saturday
Where: Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter, 1590 Fortmann Way, Alameda, CA 94501.
Foster or adopt a pet from FAAS, safely. FAAS is now offering a new Virtual Adoption program. View the wonderful shelter animals featured on our website and call 510-337-8565 to start the adoption process. Due to limited staffing and the extra time needed to complete adoptions using this new process, we thank you in advance for your patience.
FAAS Online Learning
We're proud to announce our first online courses for kids based on Kasey Brown's award-winning elective class for middle schoolers, "Animal Care and Welfare." The first two, Adoptable Pets and The Perceptive Pigeon, are available now on our website. We'll be adding more soon!
COVID-19 Message From Our Director
To all the great humans who make our work possible:
Since putting out a call for help, Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter (FAAS) has been able to send more than 70 of our dogs, cats and rabbits home with foster families -- effectively clearing the shelter! This incredible success story warms our hearts during a time when we all need encouragement, and we thank everyone in our community for making this miracle possible.
Moving animals into loving foster homes will help keep our volunteers, staff and community safe, ensuring that we can stay open with minimal staffing to provide essential services only, such as sheltering stray animals and reuniting lost pets with their families.
As we enter the next phase of our community's response to COVID-19, here are a few important things you should know:
* Both FAAS South Shore and our main shelter at 1590 Fortmann Way are closed to the general public until further notice.
* We are taking appointments for "virtual adoptions" -- accomplished mostly over the phone and email, culminating with a distance-appropriate in-person adoption in our parking lot. Call 510-337-8565 to ask about any of the wonderful pets we have available.
* Our Fortmann shelter is staffed seven days a week from 11 a. m. to 5 p. m. to receive and shelter stray animals found in Alameda. If you find a stray animal, please call us first at 510-337-8565 for instructions.
* If your pet becomes lost, please call us during business hours at 510-337-8565 or email us at info@AlamedaAnimalShelter.org with your pet's name, type, breed, age, size including weight, microchip number, and any other pertinent information. Please let us know where your pet was last seen and, if possible, please insert a photo into your e-mail. We're sorry, but email attachments cannot be opened.
* Licensing is being done by phone or mail only. To license your pet, please call 510-337-8565 during business hours.
* Please follow FAAS on Facebook and at www.AlamedaAnimalShelter.org for updates, such as the need for additional foster families.
Finally, we've received an outpouring of love from people wanting to support FAAS during these uncertain times and to make sure we stay strong when the COVID-19 crisis passes and we can return to normal operations. The best and safest way to make a donation to FAAS is through our secured, online donation form https://www.alamedaanimalshelter.org/s…/make-a-donation.html
From the bottom of our exhausted but grateful hearts, thank you for helping FAAS care for the pets of Alameda -- and the people who love them.
With hope and faith for a healthy future for all of us, - John Lipp, Executive Director, FAAS
Webinar: Pet Care During COVID-19
Home To Home
Avoid surrendering your pet to an animal shelter. FAAS now offers Home To Home to all East Bay residents. Find out more.
Pet Loss Support Group
Until further notice, the FAAS Pet Loss Support Group will be offered as a free Zoom meeting. Email SupportGroup@AlamedaAnimalShelter.org for login instructions. For online support, please join our Facebook group, FAAS Remembers.
Next Zoom Meeting: 6-7 p.m., Monday, July 20, 2020