In The Spotlight
Event: Adoption Open House
Cast your vote!
Foster A Pet
Can't adopt right now? Consider fostering a shelter pet in your home. Foster homes give animals a break from the shelter and helps build confidence.
Sign up today for what can be an incredibly rewarding experience - helping a pet reach its forever family!
Wear Your Support For FAAS
Is there a FAAS hero in your life? (Maybe you?)
FAAS Hero t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies and more are back, just in time for the holidays. All styles, sizes and colors - and the proceeds go to care for the homeless pets at FAAS. Get your gear now!
Pet Loss Support Group
You don't have to struggle alone with your grief. Attend the free FAAS Pet Loss Support Group Zoom meeting held every third Monday and led by licensed therapist Suzanne Hayne. Come to share or just listen; all are welcome. Also visit our pet loss Facebook Group, FAAS Remembers.
6-7PM Monday, June 20, 2022
6-7PM Monday, July 18, 2022
6-7PM Monday, August 15, 2022
Email Suzanne@suzannehayne.com for the Zoom link.
COVID-19 Message From Our Director
To all the great humans who make our work possible:
Since putting out a call for help more in March 2020, Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter (FAAS) has been overwhelmed with your support for the homeless pets of Alameda. In the beginning of the pandemic, we were able to send more than 70 of our dogs, cats and rabbits home with foster families -- effectively clearing the shelter. This incredible success story still warms our hearts during a time when we all needed encouragement, and we thank everyone in our community for making this miracle possible.
Moving animals into loving foster homes is still helping to keep our volunteers, staff and community safe, ensuring that we can stay open with minimal staffing to provide essential services only, such as sheltering stray animals and reuniting lost pets with their families. We need foster families now, especially for adult cats. If you can foster, please contact Nanou Ballou at firstname.lastname@example.org
As we continue our COVID-19 journey, here are a few important things you should know:
* Both FAAS South Shore and our main shelter at 1590 Fortmann Way remain closed to the general public until further notice.
* We are taking appointments for "virtual" adoptions -- accomplished mostly over the phone and email, culminating with a distance-appropriate in-person adoption in our parking lot. To start the adoption process, check available animals and submit an application.
* Our Fortmann shelter is staffed seven days a week from 11 a. m. to 5 p. m. to receive and shelter stray animals found in Alameda. If you find a stray animal, or if your pet becomes lost, please carefully read instructions before filling out the appropriate form. If necessary, call 510-337-8565 for instructions.
* Licensing is being done by phone or mail only. To license your pet, please call 510-337-8565 during business hours.
* Please follow FAAS on Facebook and at www.AlamedaAnimalShelter.org for updates, such as the need for additional foster families.
Finally, we've received an outpouring of love from people wanting to support FAAS during these uncertain times and to make sure we stay strong when the COVID-19 crisis passes and we can return to normal operations. The best and safest way to make a donation to FAAS is through our secured, online donation form https://www.alamedaanimalshelter.org/s…/make-a-donation.html
From the bottom of our exhausted but grateful hearts, thank you for helping FAAS care for the pets of Alameda -- and the people who love them.
With hope and faith for a healthy future for all of us, - John Lipp, Executive Director, FAAS
Pet Food Pantry
During the pandemic, our Pet Food Pantry is open to Alameda residents twice a month. Families in need may pick up one month's free supply of cat and dog food. Please park and have your trunk open for safe distancing. Supplies are limited to up to three dogs and three cats per family. Visits per family are limited to once a month.
If you would like to make a donation to the Pet Food Pantry, we welcome unopened dry cat food and cans of wet dog food. Thank you!
When: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., 2nd & 4th Saturdays
Where: Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter, 1590 Fortmann Way, Alameda, CA 94501