In The Spotlight
Foster A Pet
Can't adopt right now?
Want to make a huge difference in the life of a shelter pet?
Sign up today for what can be an incredibly rewarding experience - helping a pet reach its forever home!
Shop At The Thrifty Kitty
Our very first thrift store is here! Now you can shop in Alameda to benefit Alameda's homeless pets.
The Thrifty Kitty
Hours: Noon - 4 PM
Closed Mondays and Tuesdays
Where: 1509 Webster St., Alameda (across from Cafe Jolie)
What else: The Thrifty Kitty is pet friendly! Bring a leashed furry friend to help you shop. 100% of net proceeds go to help fund the life-saving programs of FAAS.
COVID-19 Message From Our Director
To all the great humans who make our work possible:
Since putting out a call for help more in March 2020, Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter (FAAS) has been overwhelmed with your support for the homeless pets of Alameda. In the beginning of the pandemic, we were able to send more than 70 of our dogs, cats and rabbits home with foster families -- effectively clearing the shelter. This incredible success story still warms our hearts during a time when we all needed encouragement, and we thank everyone in our community for making this miracle possible.
Moving animals into loving foster homes is still helping to keep our volunteers, staff and community safe, ensuring that we can stay open with minimal staffing to provide essential services only, such as sheltering stray animals and reuniting lost pets with their families. We need foster families now, especially for adult cats. If you can foster, please contact Nanou Ballou at firstname.lastname@example.org
As we continue our COVID-19 journey, here are a few important things you should know:
* Both FAAS South Shore and our main shelter at 1590 Fortmann Way remain closed to the general public until further notice.
* We are taking appointments for "virtual" adoptions -- accomplished mostly over the phone and email, culminating with a distance-appropriate in-person adoption in our parking lot. To start the adoption process, check available animals and submit an application.
* Our Fortmann shelter is staffed seven days a week from 11 a. m. to 5 p. m. to receive and shelter stray animals found in Alameda. If you find a stray animal, or if your pet becomes lost, please carefully read instructions before filling out the appropriate form. If necessary, call 510-337-8565 for instructions.
* Licensing is being done by phone or mail only. To license your pet, please call 510-337-8565 during business hours.
* Please follow FAAS on Facebook and at www.AlamedaAnimalShelter.org for updates, such as the need for additional foster families.
Finally, we've received an outpouring of love from people wanting to support FAAS during these uncertain times and to make sure we stay strong when the COVID-19 crisis passes and we can return to normal operations. The best and safest way to make a donation to FAAS is through our secured, online donation form https://www.alamedaanimalshelter.org/s…/make-a-donation.html
From the bottom of our exhausted but grateful hearts, thank you for helping FAAS care for the pets of Alameda -- and the people who love them.
With hope and faith for a healthy future for all of us, - John Lipp, Executive Director, FAAS
Pet Food Pantry
During the pandemic, our Pet Food Pantry is open to Alameda residents twice a month. Families in need may pick up one month's free supply of cat and dog food. Please park and have your trunk open for safe distancing. Supplies are limited to up to three dogs and three cats per family. Visits per family are limited to once a month.
Currrently, due to extremely generous recent donations of pet food from Pet Food Express and others, we do not need pet food donations from the public. THANK YOU!
When: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., 2nd & 4th Saturdays
Where: Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter, 1590 Fortmann Way, Alameda, CA 94501
Pet Loss Support Group
You don't have to struggle with your grief alone. Join us at the free FAAS Pet Loss Support Group on Zoom. Meetings are held every third Monday and led by licensed therapist Suzanne Hayne. Come to share or just listen; all are welcome. FAAS also offers a Facebook Group for those who have lost a pet.
Next Zoom Meeting: 6-7PM, Monday, November 15, 2021. For more information including helpful articles and our Zoom link, please email Suzanne.email@example.com.