In The Spotlight
Online Art Sale is Happening Now!
Blank walls? No problem!
Find the perfect piece of art at Frank Bette Center for the Arts' "Paw Prints" online fundraiser happening now! Proceeds support both local artists and Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter.
What: Paw Prints Online Art Fundraiser
When: March 4-14, 2021
Where: Paw Prints
Note: You can see the auction items in person at Frank Bette Center for the Arts 11AM-5PM on weekends and 11AM-2PM on weekdays.
Thanks, Alameda artists, for caring about the animals!
COVID-19 Message From Our Director
To all the great humans who make our work possible:
Since putting out a call for help in March, Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter (FAAS) has been overwhelmed with your support for the homeless pets of Alameda. In the beginning of the pandemic, we were able to send more than 70 of our dogs, cats and rabbits home with foster families -- effectively clearing the shelter. This incredible success story still warms our hearts during a time when we all needed encouragement, and we thank everyone in our community for making this miracle possible.
Moving animals into loving foster homes is still helping to keep our volunteers, staff and community safe, ensuring that we can stay open with minimal staffing to provide essential services only, such as sheltering stray animals and reuniting lost pets with their families. We need foster families now, especially for adult cats. If you can foster, please contact Nanou Ballou at firstname.lastname@example.org
As we continue our COVID-19 journey, here are a few important things you should know:
* Both FAAS South Shore and our main shelter at 1590 Fortmann Way are closed to the general public until further notice.
* We are taking appointments for "virtual" adoptions -- accomplished mostly over the phone and email, culminating with a distance-appropriate in-person adoption in our parking lot. Call 510-337-8565 to ask about any of the wonderful pets we have available.
* Our Fortmann shelter is staffed seven days a week from 11 a. m. to 5 p. m. to receive and shelter stray animals found in Alameda. If you find a stray animal, please call us first at 510-337-8565 for instructions.
* If your pet becomes lost, please call us during business hours at 510-337-8565 or email us at info@AlamedaAnimalShelter.org with your pet's name, type, breed, age, size including weight, microchip number, and any other pertinent information. Please let us know where your pet was last seen and, if possible, please insert a photo into your e-mail. We're sorry, but email attachments cannot be opened.
* Licensing is being done by phone or mail only. To license your pet, please call 510-337-8565 during business hours.
* Please follow FAAS on Facebook and at www.AlamedaAnimalShelter.org for updates, such as the need for additional foster families.
Finally, we've received an outpouring of love from people wanting to support FAAS during these uncertain times and to make sure we stay strong when the COVID-19 crisis passes and we can return to normal operations. The best and safest way to make a donation to FAAS is through our secured, online donation form https://www.alamedaanimalshelter.org/s…/make-a-donation.html
From the bottom of our exhausted but grateful hearts, thank you for helping FAAS care for the pets of Alameda -- and the people who love them.
With hope and faith for a healthy future for all of us, - John Lipp, Executive Director, FAAS
Pet Loss Support Group
Are you struggling with the loss of a pet? Join the free FAAS Pet Loss Support Group on Zoom. Meetings are held every third Monday and led by licensed therapist Suzanne Hayne. All are welcome; come to share or just listen. FAAS also offers a Facebook Group for those who have lost a pet.
Next Zoom Meeting: 6-7 p.m., Monday, March 22, 2021. For link and password, please email Suzanne.email@example.com.
Pet Food Pantry
During the pandemic, our Pet Food Pantry is open to Alameda residents twice a month. Families in need may pick up one month's free supply of cat and dog food. Please park and have your trunk open for safe distancing. Supplies are limited to up to three dogs and three cats per family. Visits per family are limited to once a month.
The Pet Food Pantry is made possible by the Humane Society of Alameda and individual FAAS supporters. If you would like to help families in need feed their pets, we welcome dry and wet dog and cat food and kitty litter shipped directly from online retailers to FAAS, 1590 Fortmann Way, Alameda, CA 94501. You may also drop off new, unopened pet food in person any Sunday or Monday between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
When: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., 2nd & 4th Saturdays
Where: Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter, 1590 Fortmann Way, Alameda, CA 94501